A building/zoning permit shall be obtained before any individual party may:
  1. Erect, remove, move, add to, or structurally alter a structure.
  2. Begin use or change the prior use of any building or land in any zoning district.

In order to protect individual property rights, the improvements shall conform with the Borough of Ridgway’s Zoning Ordinance. The majority of residential improvements only need a zoning review. This review will identify the property’s zone, determine setback and land use requirements, and general regulation conformity. Some examples of commercial and residential improvements requiring a building/zoning permit include:
– Accessory Structures (Sheds, Garages, etc.)
– Additions (Attached or Detached)
– Change of Use or Occupancy
– Curb Breaking
– Decks or Porches
– Driveways
– Fences or Retaining Walls
– Home Occupations
– Major Interior Renovations
– Means of Egress Changes
– Roof Replacements (Commercial)
– Sidewalks (Construct, Repair, or Replace)
– Signs (Permanent or Temporary)
– Structural Changes
– Swimming Pools (Above and Below)

Code Enforcement

The purpose of code enforcement is to improve the quality of life and preserve property values within the Borough of Ridgway. Code enforcement administers the Borough Ordinances and the Pennsylvania Uniform Construction Code (UCC) to protect and improve the health, safety and welfare of residents and visitors.

Helpful Zoning Information: